Wednesday 1 October 2014

Center Diamond Fabric in Canon Beach and some purchases.

We headed over to the coast after driving down I-5 to Salem and did a bit of outlet mall shopping in Lincoln City.  We drove up the coast with a mix of weather.  Just outside of Garibaldi we hit a big rain squall, some of the worse rain I've ever driven through.  By the time we got to Garibaldi it had almost stopped.  Such is the weather along the west coast. 
We spent the night in Seaside and on Saturday morning we drove back into Canon Beach for some breakfast and shopping. 

First we went for breakfast and the next stop was Center Diamond Fabric.  I've stopped here many times and my mom declares it her favourite quilt shop along the Oregon coast.
 They are always gracious to allow me to take some pictures of their shop.  This puffin wall hanging was lovely along side the bold colours of the nearby quilt.
 Every square foot of this shop has some eye candy.  Check out the second puffin wall hanging with Haystack Rock in view.
 Decisions, decisions what to buy?  I'm not sure if he is looking to buy or gazing out the window?
 Another shopper nearby admiring the bounty of goods.
 Lots of great batiks, some with ocean or sea life themes.
 This was my choice to buy, some great newsprint fabric for a special project and two sets of fat quarters that were buy one get one.
Outside and across the street is a surf shop and I notice some interesting decorations in the tree.
 All sorts of buoys! I wonder if it is an informal lost and found?
 A trip to Canon Beach isn't complete unless you go for a walk at low tide.  Check out that fog bank.
 We were fortunate that the tide was going out.  Several years ago it was way out and we could enjoy the tidal pools at the base of the rocks.
 Farther south the fog was onshore.
 Thanks to a telephoto lens I could get a closer view.
 Off shore is the Tillamook Lighthouse shrouded in fog.  I find it interesting that Tillamook is farther south and located on a bay that is more inland.
 I always find it fascinating looking at the sand and what is left behind as the tide goes out.
A lost feather from some poor bird.                                                                                                          
 An opened oyster shell.
 A young seagull having a drink of water.
 We headed back towards Portland as any trip south requires at least on visit to Trader Joe's for triple ginger cookies, almond biscotti and this visit some pumpkin biscotti and a mix to make pumpkin corn bread.
 We did stop in at Jane's Fabrics in Tillamook where I found this fun house fabric.
 At Joann's Fabrics I picked up the latest Quilt Sampler, I think I have them all and in almost everyone I've been to at least one of the shops.  This one has The Fat Quail Quilt Shop in Laytonville California a delightful shop and a lovely owner that I've met.
The second shop I've been to in this issue is Boersma's Sewing Center in McMinville Oregon with four floors of shopping.  I found this one while on a trip to Sisters Oregon when I stumbled upon a shop hop.
 I stopped in at Smokey Point to visit Carole the owner of Aunt Mary's Quilt Shop and picked up this Sue Spargo book.  Carole calls mom and I her Canadian girls and always has a lovely smile and warm thoughts to share with us.
 One more have to go to store while travelling in the U.S. is Joann Fabrics where buy one get one buttons came home.  Jack O'lanterns and some Hallowe'en for one set and the initials S & H because that's me...SHH!
Just a quick 4 day trip this time but lots of great memories and a few treasures to enjoy.

2 comments:

Rachaeldaisy said...

It's been wonderful travelling along with you through your photos. That's a great quilt shop with rooms of fabric! Those beach photos are beautiful. I've never heard of pumpkin biscotti, I bet it's tasty!!

The little book of Nessie said...

Yes, it is nice to pick up some crafty goods along the way on a lovely trip. Enjoyed your pictures. Regards, Nessie